- Southeastern Native American Documents, 1730-1842
- [Legal opinion on the] petition of Col[onel] Jesse Sanders, his officers and men, 1793
- Date of Original:
- Creek Indians--Treaties
Georgia. Militia--Appropriations and expenditures
- United States, Georgia, 32.75042, -83.50018
- legal documents
- This document is a legal opinion on the petition of Colonel Jesse Sanders, dated 1793, regarding payment for services rendered by his officers and men during a meeting of treaty commissioners at Rock Landing (Baldwin County, Georgia). The soldiers acted as a guard accompanying the commissioners at the 1789 meeting, which was called for the purpose of negotiating a treaty with the Creek Indians.
Digital image and encoded transcription of an original manuscript, scanned, transcribed and encoded by the Digital Library of Georgia in 2001, as part of GALILEO, funded in part by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
- Local Identifier:
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: [title of item], Telamon Cuyler, Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries, presented in the Digital Library of Georgia
- 2 pages/leaves
- Original Collection:
- Manuscript held by the Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries, Telamon Cuyler, box 05, folder 03, document 01.
- Holding Institution:
- Hargrett Library
On the Petition of Col J. Sanders -- Commanding a [deleted text: troop of Horse ] [added text: Detachment ] ordered by Government as a guard to the Commissioners appointed to treat at the Rock landing With the Several tribes composing the Creek Nation in the Yeare [Year]
1789 Yr. [Your] Committee a [document damaged] of opinion that it appears from the pay Rolls & certificates of Thomas Martin Inspector General that there is due to the officers & soldiers under Col. Jesse Sanders for the above -- Services [deleted text: the ] [added text: [deleted text: a considerable ] ] [added text: several ] Sums [added text: of money ] [deleted text: of one hundred & [added text: seventy ] thirty one pounds ten shillings & two pence ] and recommend that the Same be [deleted text: (provided for the Legislature ] -- referred to the auditor for liquidation and that he be authorised [authorized] to give a Certificate to the individual persons for the sum which may appear due thereupon
Petition of Col. Jesse Saunders, for himself, Officers & men. --