- Southeastern Native American Documents, 1730-1842
- [Account of payment owed] Ja[me]s M. Simmons [by] the State of Georgia, 1789 / [signed by] Ja[me]s M. Simmons
- Date of Original:
- Five Civilized Tribes--Claims against
Five Civilized Tribes--Government relations
- Few, William, 1748-1828
- United States, Georgia, 32.75042, -83.50018
- This is a 1789 account of money owed to James M. Simmons for services to the State of Georgia. At the request of Colonel (William?) Few and (Edward?) Telfair, Simmons prepared extracts of numerous documents and delivered them to the governor. These extracts are from journals, treaties and documents estimating depredations committed by unnamed Indians, and they were prepared for the use of commissioners appointed by Congress.
Digital image and encoded transcription of an original manuscript, scanned, transcribed and encoded by the Digital Library of Georgia in 2001, as part of GALILEO, funded in part by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
- Local Identifier:
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: [title of item], Telamon Cuyler, Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries, presented in the Digital Library of Georgia
- 2 pages/leaves
- Original Collection:
- Manuscript held by the Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries, Telamon Cuyler, box 04, folder 08, document 01.
- Holding Institution:
- Hargrett Library
The State of Georgia
To Jas. [James] M Simmons Dr
1789 Octo. [October] 5. To Extracts from the Journals, Copies of Treaties, estimate [deleted text: s ] of Depredations committed by the Indians -- since the appointment of Commissioners under the resolves of Congress 26. & 27.
Octo. [October] 1787 - £20,,0,,0
NB [Nota Bene] The above work was done at the request of Colo. [Colonel] Few & Mr. Telfair- appointed by His Honor the Governor to Select such papers & documents- as might be serviceable to lay into the Hands of the Honble. [Honorable] Continental Commissioners -- & were delivered to his Honor the Governor.
[Signed] Jas. [James] M Simmons Clk. [Clerk] [unclear text: G. A. ]
James M Simmons
30th October 1789