- Joseph Henry Lumpkin Family Papers
- Letter: Centreville, [Alabama?] to Callie [King, 1856?] :a machine-readable transcription
- King, Porter, 1824-1890
- Date of Original:
Alabama--Social life and customs--19th century
King, Callie, 1826-1905
- United States, Alabama, 32.75041, -86.75026
- letters (correspondence)
- Porter King, lawyer, future judge and Perry County representative to the Alabama legislature, writes a letter, possibly dated 1856, from Centreville, to his wife, Callie King, daughter of Joseph Henry Lumpkin. King informs his wife that he is spending the night at Mrs. Mayberry's and that although he likes the room, he misses his wife and her cooking.
Digital image and encoded transcription of an original manuscript, scanned, transcribed and encoded by the Digital Library of Georgia in 2001, as part of GALILEO.
- Local Identifier:
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: [title of item], Joseph Henry Lumpkin family papers, 1821-1862 (bulk 1852-1857), Alexander Campbell King Law Library, University of Georgia School of Law, on deposit at the Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, The University of Georgia Libraries, presented in the Digital Library of Georgia
- 1 page/leaf
- Original Collection:
- Manuscript held by the Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Joseph Henry Lumpkin family papers, 1821-1862 (bulk 1852-1857), box 1, folder 72, document jhl0072.
- Holding Institution:
- Hargrett Library
I learn that Mr Garrote will dispatch a message to Marion for some papers [illegible text] I will not make you sad by telling you how badly I felt last night without your tender embrace -- I [unclear text: never] missed you half so much nor desired to be with you --
A white [unclear text: killing] frost this morning the [illegible text] here at 4 O'clock & have a good room at Mrs Mayberry's -- no fish & no probability of any [unclear text: aint] that bad? [illegible text] very plain, how I long for our ham & sausages -- You are the best cook in the world -- the best wife, the prettiest & smartest woman In haste