Wrightsboro historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Wrightsboro historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--McDuffie County
Cities and towns--Georgia--Wrightsboro
Location:
United States, Georgia, McDuffie County, Wrightsboro, 33.5504119, -82.5690205
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: At Wrightsboro on Wrightsboro/Stagecoach Rd., 4 mi. W. of U.S. 78
Text of marker: "WRIGHTSBORO. On this site in 1754, Edmund Grey, a pretending Quaker, founded the town of Brandon, named for one of its leaders. In Dec. 1768, Joseph Mattock and Jonathan Sell, Quakers, obtained a grant of 40,000 acres from the Royal Governor, Sir James Wright, revived the town and renamed it Wrightsboro, in his honor. By 1775 over 60 families had settled in the town and 200 in the township - all Quaker. During the Revolutionary War the fort here, Fort Wrightsboro, was commanded by Captain Thomas White. John Louis Porter edited the newspaper, "The Village Wreathe." Sherwood Roberts kept the inn. 094-5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_wrightsboro
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_wrightsboro
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations