The Beacon Community (Side 2) historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
The Beacon Community (Side 2) historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--DeKalb County
Communities--Georgia--Beacon
Location:
United States, Georgia, DeKalb County, Decatur, 33.7748275, -84.2963123
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Beacon Hill Arts Center, W. Trinity at Electric Ave., Decatur
Text of marker: "THE BEACON COMMUNITY (Continued from other side). The Allen Wilson Terrace Public Housing Project, constructed in 1941, was named for the first African-American school principal in Decatur. These school buildings, Lilly Hill Baptist Church, the former Trinity Presbyterian Church on Robin Street and the Allen Wilson Terrace project are the only remaining buildings dating to the early years of this neighborhood. The Beacon Community was home to Henry Oliver, a business owner and resident who was honored in 1902 with a local street named for him. In 1983, the street name was changed to Commerce Drive and his name was given to a meeting room in the new Decatur Conference Center. It was also home to Deacon J.H. Ebster for whom Ebster Park was named; Federal Court Judge Clarence Cooper and Elizabeth Wilson, Decatur's first African-American city commissioner and mayor. FEBRUARY, 1998"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_the-beacon-community-side-2
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_the-beacon-community-side-2
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations