Falling Creek Baptist Church historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Falling Creek Baptist Church historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Elbert County
Church buildings--Georgia--Elberton
Location:
United States, Georgia, Elbert County, Elberton, 34.1112226, -82.8670839
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Ga. 77 and Jack McVeigh Dr. about 3 miles south of Elberton
Text of marker: "FALLING CREEK BAPTIST CHURCH. In 1788, Thomas Maxwell founded the Falling Creek Baptist Church. A Virginian, he was born September 8, 1742 and died December 12, 1837. Imprisoned a number of times for preaching the Baptist faith, he was able, once, to convert the jailer and his family. According to tradition, he rubbed away part of his prominent nose by preaching through the bars of the jails, and was defended by Patrick Henry when jailed in Culpeper County, Va. In 1835 at Falling Creek Church, the Sarepta Baptist Association voted to join the State Baptist Convention, after 15 years consideration. 052-11 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_falling-creek-baptist-church
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_falling-creek-baptist-church
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations