Evergreen Baptist Church historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Evergreen Baptist Church historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Bleckley County
Church buildings--Georgia--Cochran
Location:
United States, Georgia, Bleckley County, Cochran, 32.38683, -83.35461
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: U.S. 23 6 miles north of Cochran
Text of marker: "EVERGREEN BAPTIST CHURCH. Evergreen Baptist Church, built in 1844, was split off from old Mt. Horeb Baptist Church, constituted October 15, 1809, which stood at or near the site of the Centenary Methodist Church. On February 14, 1844, the congregation and pastor found themselves locked out of the church by a Brother Burkhalter. Most of the congregation, considered "Mission-minded," formed a new church, called it Evergreen and constructed this building in 1844. In slavery days Negroes walked for miles to attend its services. In 1864 Negro members outnumbered White, 130 to 86. 012-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_evergreen-baptist-church
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_evergreen-baptist-church
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations