Epworth Pioneers historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Epworth Pioneers historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Glynn County
Spiritual retreat centers--Georgia--St. Simons Island
Location:
United States, Georgia, Glynn County, 31.2132418, -81.4936976
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Epworth By The Sea Methodist Retreat on St. Simons Island
Text of marker: "EPWORTH PIONEERS. In 1945, South Georgia Methodists resolved to establish a religious center. After searching four years for a site, the Sea Island Company offered to sell them 43.53 acres of the Hamilton Plantation. Because the Conference did not have the $40,000, Bishop Arthur J. Moore asked nine laymen to join him in signing a bank note for a tenth of the purchase price. Not one refused. Since D. Abbott Turner never signed a note, he gave $4,000 in cash. Later known as Epworth Pioneers, they were A.J. Strickland, Jr., Alfred W. Jones, Sr., Walter Blasingame, J. Slater Wright, Ben J. Tarbutton, Sr., Leo B. Huckabee, Jerome Crawley, George T. Morris and D. Abbott Turner. On July 25, 1950, in the Wesley tradition, almost 800 Methodists met under moss draped live oaks for the formal opening. Churches and individuals responded, paid the debt and began a tradition of love, prayers and financial support which makes God's ministry at Epworth possible. THE DREAM AT LAST A JOYFUL REALITY"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_epworth-pioneers
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_epworth-pioneers
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations