- Georgia Historical Markers
- Douglas County historical marker
- Jackson, Edwin L.
- Date of Original:
- Historical markers--Georgia--Douglas County
- United States, Georgia, Douglas County, 33.7018284, -84.7679728
United States, Georgia, Douglas County, Douglasville, 33.7515, -84.74771
- Location: Old Douglas County Courthouse, Douglasville
Text of marker: "DOUGLAS COUNTY. This county, created by Act of the Legislature October 17, 1870, is named for Stephen A. Douglas, the "Little Giant," a Vermonter who was Congressman from Illinois 1843 to '47, Senator from '47 to '61, and Democratic candidate for President in 1860 on the ticket with Gov. Herschel V. Johnson, of Georgia, for Vice President. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff T.H. Sellman, Clerk of Superior Court A.L. Gorman, Ordinary Wm. Hindman, Tax Receiver Jno. M. James, Tax Collector M.D. Watkins, Treasurer C.P. Bower, Coroner S.W. Biggers and Surveyor John M. Hughey. 048-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954"
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- Holding Institution:
- Digital Library of Georgia