DeLaigle Brick Yards historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
DeLaigle Brick Yards historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Richmond County
Brickworks--Georgia--Augusta
Location:
United States, Georgia, Richmond County, Augusta, 33.47097, -81.97484
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Twiggs St. at DeLaigle Ave. (inside Magnolia Cemetery), Augusta
Text of marker: "DeLAIGLE BRICK YARDS. In 1808, Nicholas de L'Aigle, a French refugee, established the brick yards 1/4 mile south which furnished Augusta with building brick for 75 years. River clay was "pugged" to the right consistency in a cylindrical vat by a stone turned with mule-power, and hand-moulded into bricks which were air-dried, built into kilns, and fired. Many old houses in Augusta and elsewhere in Georgia and the Carolinas are built of these bricks. Note: another marker with the same text is located at the Magnolia Cemetery driveway, north wall of administration building, on Walton Way at 3rd Street, Augusta."
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_de-laigle-brick-yard
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_de-laigle-brick-yard
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations