Crawfordville Baptist Church historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Crawfordville Baptist Church historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Taliaferro County
Church buildings--Georgia--Crawfordville
Location:
United States, Georgia, Taliaferro County, Crawfordville, 33.5540209, -82.8959785
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Opposite Liberty Hall in Crawfordville
Text of marker: "CRAWFORDVILLE BAPTIST CHURCH. This, the first Protestant Church in the Taliaferro area and originally called Bethel, was established in 1802 by Rev. Jesse Mercer and Rev. James Matthews on land given by William Janes, one of Georgia's largest planters. The first pastor was Rev. James Robertson; first deacons were John Walker and Etheldred Wilder. Known widely for its liberality, this church granted the use of its building to other denominations while their churches were being organized. Many fiery political speeches have been made in the church building. The present structure was erected in 1889. 131-11 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_crawfordville-baptist-church
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_crawfordville-baptist-church
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations