Crawfordville Academy Alexander Stephens Institute historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Crawfordville Academy Alexander Stephens Institute historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Taliaferro County
School buildings--Georgia--Crawfordville
Location:
United States, Georgia, Taliaferro County, Crawfordville, 33.5540209, -82.8959785
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Opposite Liberty Hall in Crawfordville
Text of marker: "CRAWFORDVILLE ACADEMY ALEXANDER STEPHENS INSTITUTE. This school, one of the finest of the early Georgia Academies, was chartered by the Legislature, Dec. 26, 1826. First trustees were Archibald Gresham, R. Q. Dickinson, Wylie Womack, Hermon Mercer, Leonidas B. Mercer. Among the first masters were William D. Cowdrey and Simpson Fouche, outstanding classical scholars. The name was officially changed to Stephens High School in 1886 to honor Alexander Stephens and a new building was erected. That building burned in 1907 and was replaced by another. In 1920 it became Alexander Stephens Institute, a county high school. In 1955 the school moved to a new site. 131-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_crawfordville-academy-alexander-stephens-institute
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_crawfordville-academy-alexander-stephens-institute
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations