Coweta County historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Coweta County historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Coweta County
Counties--Georgia--Coweta County
Location:
United States, Georgia, Coweta County, Newnan, 33.38067, -84.79966
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Coweta County Courthouse, Newnan
Text of marker: "COWETA COUNTY. Coweta, an original county, was created by Acts of June 9, 1825 and Dec. 11, 1826 from Creek cessions of Jan. 24, 1826 and Mar. 31, 1826. It was named Coweta to perpetuate the
fame of the head chief of the Coweta Towns, Gen. William McIntosh, half-blood Creek Indian. Gen. McIntosh, daring soldier and useful ally during the War with the British, was killed in his home by some of his own people after he signed the Treaty of Indian Springs, ceding land to the Whites. First officers of Coweta County, commissioned May 15, 1827 were: Josiah B. Beall, Sheriff; John F. Beavers, Clk. Sup. Ct.; Henry Taulett, Clk. Inf. Ct.; Irwin Baggett, Surveyor; Shadrach Green, Coroner. 038-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_coweta-county
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_coweta-county
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations