Confederate Camp Milner historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Confederate Camp Milner historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Spalding County
Parks--Georgia--Griffin
Location:
United States, Georgia, Spalding County, Griffin, 33.2467807, -84.2640904
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: At the Municipal Park, end of Country Club Drive, Griffin
Text of marker: "CONFEDERATE CAMP MILNER. Most Georgia troops for the Confederate Army were mobilized in Griffin. Camp Milner, the Cavalry Camp, was named for Ben Milner, prominent Spalding County man who gave financial aid in equipping companies from his country. Camp Stephens, the Infantry Camp, was north of Griffin on McIntosh Road. Griffin and Spalding County furnished 9 companies to the Army and several to the Georgia Militia for local service. Camp Milner became Camp Northen, named for Gov. W. J. Northen, in 1898. During the Spanish-American War it was a training camp and mobilization center for National Guard. Later a fairgrounds, it is now the Municipal Park. 126-5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_confederate-camp-milner
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_confederate-camp-milner
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations