Colonial Park historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Colonial Park historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Chatham County
Cemeteries--Georgia--Savannah
Public spaces--Georgia--Savannah
Location:
United States, Georgia, Chatham County, Savannah, 32.08354, -81.09983
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Colonial Park Cemetery, Savannah
Text of marker: "COLONIAL PARK. This cemetery, the second in colonial Savannah, was the burying ground for the city from about 1750 until it was closed against burials in 1853. Among the distinguished dead who rest here are Archibald Bulloch, first President of Georgia; James Habersham, acting royal Governor of the Province, 1771-'73; Joseph Habersham, Postmaster General under three Presidents; Lachlan McIntosh, Major General, Continental Army; Samuel Elbert, Revolutionary soldier and Governor of Georgia; Capt. Denis L. Cottineau de Kerloguen who aided John Paul Jones in the engagement between the "Bon Homme Richard" and the "Serapis"; Hugh McCall, early historian of Georgia; Edward Green Malbone, the noted miniaturist, and Colonel John S. McIntosh, a hero of the War with Mexico. The remains of Major General Nathanael Greene who died in 1786 reposed in the Graham vault until they were reinterred in 1901 in Johnson Square. The cemetery became a city park in 1896. 025-20 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_colonial-park
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_colonial-park
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations