Colonel's Island historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Colonel's Island historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Liberty County
Colonel's Island (Ga.)
Location:
United States, Georgia, Liberty County, 31.8072289, -81.4562556
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Ga. 38 at Kings Road on Colonel's Island
Text of marker: "COLONEL'S ISLAND. Until about 1778 this island was called Colonel's Island because of the large number of colonels having plantations here. Major plantations included "Woodville," "Herron's Point," "Maxwellton," "Suligree," "Maybank," "Black Rock," "Laws," "Cedar Point," "Hickory Hill," "Dunham's," and "Melon Bluff." Rice and indigo were the principal money crops grown on Colonel's Island during the antebellum era. During the War Between the States the island was also a source of salt, an essential ingredient in the making of gunpowder. Long before European exploreres reached North America Colonel's Island was a part of the Guale Indian kingdom of the Creek Nation. Erected 1996 by the Liberty County Historical Society"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_colonels-island
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_colonels-island
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations