Cockspur Island Lighthouse historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Cockspur Island Lighthouse historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Chatham County
Cockspur Island Lighthouse (Ga.)
Lighthouses--Georgia
Location:
United States, Georgia, Chatham County, 31.9740223, -81.0924254
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Located in the parking area near the Ft. Pulaski National Park Visitors Center
Text of marker: "Cockspur Island Lighthouse. Designed and built in 1848 by renowned architect John S. Norris to mark the entrance to the South Channel of the Savannah River, the Cockspur Island Lighthouse was destroyed by a hurricane in 1854. A larger replacement was built on the same foundation in 1855. During the American Civil War, the light was temporarily extinguished. The lighthouse survived the 30-hour Union bombardment of Confederate-held Fort Pulaski in 1862 and hurricanes in 1881 and 1893. By the late 1800s, shipping had moved to the North Channel of the Savannah River. The lighthouse was no longer needed and was deactivated in 1909. In 1958, the U.S. Coast Guard transferred the lighthouse to the National Park Service. 2011.13 Erected by the Georgia Historical Society and the Friends of the Cockspur Island Lighthouse 25-41"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_cockspur-island-lighthouse
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_cockspur-island-lighthouse
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations