Cloud's Creek Baptist Church historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Cloud's Creek Baptist Church historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Oglethorpe County
Church buildings--Georgia--Lexington
Location:
United States, Georgia, Oglethorpe County, Lexington, 33.8698404, -83.111817
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Cloud's Creek Road 1.4 miles west of Ga. 22 north of Lexington
Text of marker: "Cloud's Creek Baptist Church. In 1785, following the Revolutionary War, pioneers from North Carolina--including the Hendons, Hartsfields, Standifers, Johnsons, Lawrences, and Olives -- settled near Big Cloud's Creek on the Georgia frontier near the Creek and Cherokee nations. Olive's Fort was soon constructed and Cloud's Creek Baptist Church was constituted within its walls in 1788. The church was later moved 2 1/2 miles south to its present location on land deeded by Thomas Hendon in 1798. The second and current sanctuary on the new site was constructed in 1909 and continues in use today. 1999.14 Erected by The Georgia Historical Society, Cloud's Creek Baptist Church, Descendants of Robinson and Elizabeth Hartsfield Hendon, and Historic Oglethorpe County, Inc. 109-1"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_clouds-creek-baptist-church
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_clouds-creek-baptist-church
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations