Clem Greene Schoolhouse historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Clem Greene Schoolhouse historical marker
Creator:
Massar, Todd
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Cobb County
School buildings--Georgia--Cobb County
Location:
United States, Georgia, Cobb County, 33.9414626, -84.5766729
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Lost Parents Building, Six Flags Park (relocated)
Text of marker: "CLEM GREENE SCHOOLHOUSE Clem Greene (1829-1889), First Lieut., Cobb's Cavalry (1861-1865), a stern, firm man, built the first schoolhouse in Fulton County on his plantation in 1857. A scholar, he was the first teacher. His original plan was to educate his children, his brother William's children and those of his tenants. Later, he included pupils from Lick Skillet (Adamsville) for five cents each per day. Some walked five miles to attend its classes. This, a replica of the original schoolhouse, built on his plantation, is preserved by the Clem Greene Pioneer School Club, Inc., Mrs. W. C. Dameron, organizer and first president. 60-115 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_clem-greene-schoolhouse
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_clem-greene-schoolhouse
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations