Clarkdale Historic District historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Clarkdale Historic District historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Cobb County
Communities--Georgia--Clarkdale
Location:
United States, Georgia, Cobb County, 33.9414626, -84.5766729
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Newark Ave. at Newark Street across from the old mill, Clarkdale
Text of marker: "CLARKDALE HISTORIC DISTRICT c. 1931. Clarkdale is significant as an intact industrial village, locally called a mill village. Built according to a master plan for the employees of Clark Thread Company, it evolved into a self-contained community with commercial, social and recreational facilities onsite or nearby. The homes featured modern conveniences like electricity and indoor plumbing. Automobile garages were added in 1935. While the company owned and maintained the houses, local businesses were privately owned and they thrived under the patronage of Clarkdale residents. After layoffs at the mill in the late 1950s-early 60s businesses started to close, eventually leaving only the post office and two churches. The company sold the houses in 1966 giving current residents the first option to buy them, and most took advantage of the opportunity."
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_clarkdale-historic-district
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_clarkdale-historic-district
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations