Casey's Hill historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Casey's Hill historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Fulton County
Location:
United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: West edge of Crestlawn Cemetery on Old Atlanta-Marietta Rd. in Atlanta
Text of marker: "CASEY'S HILL. A notable eminence between Peachtree & Proctor's creeks near the Chattahoochee River & named for John A. Casey (1820 - 1907) who lived on this hill near the old Montgomery Church. Prior to & during the 1860's, the road from Atlanta crossed this hill & via Montgomery's Ferry, ran to Marietta in Cobb County. Confederate forces crossed the river near the R.R. bridge, July 9-10, 1864, & camped on the left bank until the 18th when most of them shifted toward Atlanta on the old Marietta Rd. Enroute, they learned that Gen. Johnson [CSA] had been relieved of the command & Gen. Hood had been appointed his successor. 060-86 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_caseys-hill
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_caseys-hill
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations