Captain Hardy Smith House (Side 1) historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Captain Hardy Smith House (Side 1) historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Laurens County
Historic buildings--Georgia--Dublin
Biography--19th century
Location:
United States, Georgia, Laurens County, Dublin, 32.5404447, -82.903754
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: 307 West Gaines Street in Downtown Dublin
Text of marker: "Captain Hardy Smith House Built 1873. Capt. Hardy B Smith (1841-1912), CSA, one of Laurens County's noted veterans, served in the Army of Northern Virginia under General Robert E. Lee. Smith, when war broke out, was called home from classes at the University of Georgia and elected First Sergeant of Co. H, "The Blackshear Guards," of the 14th Georgia Volunteer Infantry Regiment. As a second lieutenant, Smith suffered a wound at Mechanicsville resulting in the amputation of his right arm. Yet he served for two more years. He resigned his commission in April 1864 to serve as an enrolling officer of the 5th District of Georgia. After the War he served as Commander of the "Smith Camp," a division of the United Confederate Veterans and rose to Brigadier General and Commander of the Eastern Division. He was a public servant, farmer, and business man-Clerk and Treasurer of the Superior Court, Judge of the Court of Ordinary, and original stockholder in the Macon and Dublin Railroad. He married Ella Few Douglas in 1867 and reared ten children in this house. She, her mother, her sister and four other women founded the First Methodist Church. Capt. Smith donated the land next to this house to build the church in 1887."
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_captain-hardy-smith-house-side-1
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_captain-hardy-smith-house-side-1
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations