Campsite of Union Army historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Campsite of Union Army historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Baldwin County
Location:
United States, Georgia, Baldwin County, 33.06928, -83.24959
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Old River Bridge Rd. at Ga. 22/24, east of Oconee River
Text of marker: "CAMPSITE OF UNION ARMY. The Union Army of 65,000 men under the command of General Wm. T. Sherman left Atlanta on November 15, 1864. Only the left wing of 30,000 men entered Milledgeville. The advance units arrived here on the 22nd. The right wing marched via Clinton and Gordon and joined the left wing at Sandersville. More than 25,000 soldiers camped at this site on Nov. 22-25. The McKinley house, 500 yards north of this point, served as headquarters for Generals Jackson and Geary. The toll bridge which stood 50 yards below the present structure was destroyed on November 25. 005-14 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1962"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_campsite-of-union-army
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_campsite-of-union-army
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations