British Headquarters historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
British Headquarters historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Screven County
Location:
United States, Georgia, Screven County, Newington, 32.5901748, -81.503996
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Ga. 21 in Newington
Text of marker: "BRITISH HEADQUARTERS. Near Hudson's Ferry, about four miles east of Newington, General Augustine Prevost in command of 4000 British regulars made headquarters and constructed redoubts in February, 1779. The complete occupation of Georgia was directed and effected from this point. General Prevost, cleverly masking his troop movements, left Hudson's Ferry March 1st, 1779 with 1500 of His Majesty's best troops. He encircled General Ashe's Continentals and North Carolina Militia of 2300 men at the Freeman-Miller Bridge, attacked them from the rear and practically destroyed them. 124-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1953"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_british-headquarters
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_british-headquarters
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations