Bethesda Baptist Church historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Bethesda Baptist Church historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Greene County
Church buildings--Georgia--Greene County
Location:
United States, Georgia, Greene County, 33.5787842, -83.1666552
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: At church, 1 mile north of Ga. 44, 5 miles N.E. of Union Point
Text of marker: "BETHESDA BAPTIST CHURCH. When Bethesda Baptist Church was organized in 1785, it was known as Whatley's Mill church, and was in Wilkes County before it was added to Greene in 1802. When the present building was erected in 1818, the name was changed to Bethesda. Jesse Mercer was pastor for a number of years and here he ordained Adiel Sherwood as minister of the Gospel. This splendid brick structure indicates that this section was populous and wealthy. In the early days of the church, worshipers, fearful of attack by Indians, carried their guns to services. 066-9 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_bethesda-baptist-church
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_bethesda-baptist-church
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations