Bethel Primitive Baptist Church historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Bethel Primitive Baptist Church historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Brooks County
Church buildings--Georgia--Brooks County
Location:
United States, Georgia, Brooks County, 30.84197, -83.58021
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: 1.5 miles south of Ga. 122 at Sand Hill (west of Barney)
Text of marker: "BETHEL PRIMITIVE BAPTIST CHURCH. Bethel Primitive Baptist Church, the second Baptist Church to be organized in the area of old Lowndes County, was constituted September 2, 1826. The organizing Presbytery were: Elders Benjamin Manning, Matthew Albritton and Henry Melton, with Deacon William A. Knight. Charter members of Bethel Church were: Elder Melus Thigpen and his wife, Sarah; Archibald Strickland and his wife, Luander; Henry C. Tucker and his wife, Sarah. Elder Thigpen served as supply pastor until 1828, when the Rev. Matthew Albritton was called to the charge of Bethel Church. 014-8 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_bethel-primitive-baptist-church
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_bethel-primitive-baptist-church
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations