Beth-Salem Presbyterian Church historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Beth-Salem Presbyterian Church historical marker
Creator:
Jackson, Edwin L.
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Oglethorpe County
Church buildings--Georgia--Lexington
Location:
United States, Georgia, Oglethorpe County, Lexington, 33.8698404, -83.111817
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Church and Meson Streets in Lexington
Text of marker: "BETH-SALEM PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. Beth-Salem Presbyterian Church was organized on December 20, 1785, in the wilderness about three miles West of this site, under the leadership of Mr. John Newton, then a licentiate. It was the first of a chain of Presbyterian churches established in North Georgia in the latter part of the 18th century, by the Presbytery of South Carolina. The Rev. John Newton was the first minister, serving Beth-Salem until his death in 1797. Ezekiel Gilham, James Parks and James Espey were elders. Later, Beth-Salem was moved to the present site, and on December 20, 1827, was chartered by the Legislature. Charter members were: William Campbell, David McLaughlin, William Lesley, Samuel McCauley, John Pharr, John F. Wallace, Joseph Espey, Mrs. Marion Greer, Mrs. Jane Jewell, Mrs. Jane Campbell, Sam McLaughlin, Mrs. Lesley, Mary Espey, Ann Gaulding, Damary Baldwin, Hannah Upson, Sarah Walley, Martha Gilham, Sarah Moore, Mrs. Mary Kennedy, Miss Maria Harrison, The Rev. Thomas Goulding. 109-6 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_beth-salem-presbyterian-church
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_beth-salem-presbyterian-church
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations