- Georgia Historical Markers
- Benevolent Lodge No. 3, F. & A. M. historical marker
- Jackson, Edwin L.
- Date of Original:
- Historical markers--Georgia--Baldwin County
- United States, Georgia, Baldwin County, Milledgeville, 33.08014, -83.2321
- Location: The Masonic Lodge Building at the corner of North Wayne and East Hancock Streets in Milledgeville
Text of marker: "MASONIC TEMPLE OF BENEVOLENT LODGE NO. 3, F.&A.M. This is the oldest Masonic building in Georgia with continuous usage since its dedication on June 24, 1834. Funded through a state authorized lottery and constructed by John Marlow (also one of the architects with Samuel Tucker and James Doyle), this Georgian style building was among the more elegant structures in antebellum Georgia. It is also one of the earlier Masonry structures west of the Oconee River. The Grand Lodge of Georgia met here annually from December 1834 through the 1845 session when its site was moved to Macon. During reconstruction the building housed the office of the Freedman's Bureau and its ground floor was headquarters of the local military garrison. This building was built for the Masonic use of benevolent lodge number 3, F. & A. M.; Temple chapter number 6, R. A. M and Georgia council number 4, R. & S. M. MARKER PLACED BY THE EDUCATIONAL AND HISTORICAL COMMISSION GRAND LODGE OF GEORGIA, F. & A. M. 1980"
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- Holding Institution:
- Digital Library of Georgia