Benevolence Baptist Church historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Benevolence Baptist Church historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Randolph County
Church buildings--Georgia--Benevolence
Location:
United States, Georgia, Randolph County, Benevolence, 31.8818276, -84.734643
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: At the church in Benevolence
Text of marker: "BENEVOLENCE BAPTIST CHURCH. This church, constituted May 16, 1840, succeeded Walnut Grove, N.W. of here, (called Mt. Paran when organized, Nov. 1831, with 9 members). In 1840, Missionary Baptists, feeling a need for a separate church, met and accepted 5 acres of land for Church and Cemetery "with no charges ever" from Thomas Coram, first settler at this site. For this generosity, Abner Ward suggested the name Benevolence for church and community. Members hauled lumber from Dawson and built the first church building, dedicated May 17, 1842, with Rev. James Matthews, Pastor, and A.M. Albritton, Clerk. First deacons were James Sherman and John Winfrey. Other early clerks were David Holman, Abner Ward, E. H. Keese and G. W. King. 120-11 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_benevolence-baptist-church
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_benevolence-baptist-church
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations