Bellevue historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Bellevue historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Troup County
Historic buildings--Georgia--LaGrange
Location:
United States, Georgia, Troup County, 33.03351, -85.02834
United States, Georgia, Troup County, LaGrange, 33.03929, -85.03133
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Broad Street at Ben Hill Street, LaGrange
Text of marker: "BELLEVUE. Bellevue, home of United States Senator Benjamin Harvey Hill (1823-1882), was built in 1854-55 and typifies the Greek Revival architecture popular in the Old South. Jefferson Davis and other Confederate celebrities were frequent guests here. At the urging of Senator Hill, lawyer, one of Georgia's foremost orators and champion of the South during Reconstruction days, President Hayes withdrew Union occupation troops. In 1942 Bellevue was presented to the LaGrange Woman's Club by the Fuller E. Callaway Foundation. It is now maintained by the Club. 141-8 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_bellevue
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_bellevue
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations