Augustus Hurt House historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Augustus Hurt House historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Fulton County
Historic buildings--Georgia--Atlanta
Location:
United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Located in the parking lot of the Carter Presidential Center in Atlanta
Text of marker: "AUGUSTUS HURT HOUSE. 200 yds. N.E. stood the plantation residence of Augustus F. Hurt (1830-1921), built 1858 and razed by Federal forces, 1864; erroneously cited in Official Records as the Howard house. July 22, 1864. 4th & 23d A.C. troops, in line with Federal advances on Atlanta, occupied this hill, having marched via old Williams Mill Rd. Sherman, together with Howard & Schofield, maintained command posts here during the afternoon while McPherson's Army of the Tennessee fought defensively at & S. of the Ga. R.R. where two of Hood's corps [CSA] attacked it. Here, McPherson's body was brought from battlefield enroute to burial at Clyde, Ohio. 060-79 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_augustus-hurt-house
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_augustus-hurt-house
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations