A Mission By the Sea historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
A Mission By the Sea historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Glynn County
Church buildings--Georgia--St. Simons Island
Location:
United States, Georgia, Glynn County, 31.2132418, -81.4936976
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Epworth By The Sea Methodist Retreat on St. Simons Island
Text of marker: "A MISSION BY THE SEA. In 1949, the South Georgia Conference of the Methodist Church purchased 43.53 acres of the Hamilton Plantation from the Sea Island Company for a Christian conference center. They named "Epworth" after the Wesleys' English Village home. "By The Sea" suggests the pines and palms running in rows with the Atlantic ocean only a short distance away. Opening day, July 25, 1950, brought 800 Methodists to the banks of the Frederica River, where Bishop Arthur J. Moore preached under the moss draped live oaks (Quercus Virginiana) in the tradition of John and Charles Wesley. In 1962, Epworth By The Sea was designated an official Methodist shrine. Across the river lie the marshes of Glynn made famous by Georgia poet Sydney Lanier. YOUNG AND OLD TARRY AMID THESE SACRED SURROUNDINGS AND GO FORTH TO FACE THE MORNING."
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_a-mission-by-the-sea
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_a-mission-by-the-sea
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations