- "Thar's gold in them thar hills": Gold and Gold Mining in Georgia, 1830s-1940s
- Letter: Paulding County, Georgia to Wier Boyd, Dahlonega, Georgia, 1882 Feb. 8
- Thomas, J. B.
- Date of Original:
- Gold mines and mining--Georgia--Paulding County
Collecting of accounts--Georgia--Dahlonega
Actions and defenses--Georgia--Dahlonega
Annie Gold Mine Company
Boyd, Wier G., 1820-1893
- United States, Georgia, Lumpkin County, Dahlonega, 34.53259, -83.98491
United States, Georgia, Paulding County, 33.9205456, -84.8672885
- letters (correspondence)
- Letter from J. B. Thomas to Wier Boyd, dated February 8, 1882. Thomas expresses shock at the notice that Boyd and others are suing him for money he owes. He claims that he has nothing with which to pay the debt to Boyd except an interest in the lease of the Annie Gold Mine. Thomas explains that they are not making much money, but expect a sale soon. He reassures Boyd that his intentions are good and that he will settle his debts as soon as the Annie Gold Mine is sold.
A project of the Digital Library of Georgia in association with the Lumpkin County Library, Chestatee Regional Library System as part of Georgia HomePLACE. This project is supported with federal LSTA funds administered by the Institute of Museum and Library Services through the Georgia Public Library Service, a unit of the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia.
- Local Identifier:
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: [title of item], [title of series, if applicable], Madeleine K. Anthony Collection, Chestatee Regional Library System, Lumpkin County Branch, presented in the Digital Library of Georgia
-  p.
- Original Collection:
- Manuscript held by the Chestatee Regional Library System, Lumpkin County Branch, Madeleine K. Anthony Collection, box II-2, folder 22.
- Holding Institution:
- Lumpkin County Library
[printed text: W. H. CHAMBERLAIN. H. W. BAILEY. A. M. CHAMBERLAIN]
[printed text: Office of ANNIE GOLD MINING CO [Company],]
[printed text: -- POST OFFICE --, Rockmart, Polk County Georgia,]
[printed text: Paulding Co. [County], Ga. [Georgia]] [written text: Feb. [February] 3rd] [printed text: 187] [written text: 9]
Col. [Colonel] Wier Boyd,
Dahlonega, Ga. [Georgia], Dear Sir:_
I was served with a summons yesterday to appear at Justice's Court in this district on the 3rd Saturday in this month in the case of Wier Boyd and James F. Head vs. J. B. Thomas, &c. [et cetera] I hardly know what to say, Col. [Colonel], as I have nothing that I can give for the debt but one fourth interest in the lease of the "Annie" gold mine. We are not making much and have not been for some time, but the prospects for a sale in a very short time are quite flatering [flattering]. We are looking for
some parties here this week, and in case, Col. [Colonel] the sale is made you may rest assured that your money will be forthcoming. Col. [Colonel], my intentions are good but I have not got the money neither have I had half the amount, all told, since I have been here, but if we sell I will come out with a few hundred and I will come post haste [posthaste] to Dahlonega and settle up all I owe. I want to show to you and other friends that I have in D. [Dahlonega] that I am square and honest, but you know, Col. [Colonel], that if a man has not got the money he cant pay anything. Please excuse haste and pencil. Kindest regards to yourself and family and regards to friends.
Respectfully, &c. [et cetera],
[Signed] J. B. Thomas