- "Thar's gold in them thar hills": Gold and Gold Mining in Georgia, 1830s-1940s
- Letter: Sherman, Colorado to Wier Boyd, Dahlonega, Georgia, 1880 Oct. 8
- Hungerford, William Sumner, 1854-1904
- Date of Original:
- Gold mines and mining--Georgia--Dahlonega
Collecting of accounts--Georgia--Dahlonega
Boyd, Wier G., 1820-1893
- United States, Georgia, Lumpkin County, Dahlonega, 34.53259, -83.98491
- letters (correspondence)
- Letter from W. S. Hungerford to Wier Boyd, dated March 13, 1880. Hungerford thanks Boyd for the check he sent and expresses amusement at the determination of the Hand Company to collect a $45 lawyers' fee which Hungerford refuses to pay. He asks Boyd to keep him informed about mining in Dahlonega and inquires about the activities of Williams and Davis. Hungerford communicates his desire to get water to the Whim Hill property in Auraria.
A project of the Digital Library of Georgia in association with the Lumpkin County Library, Chestatee Regional Library System as part of Georgia HomePLACE. This project is supported with federal LSTA funds administered by the Institute of Museum and Library Services through the Georgia Public Library Service, a unit of the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia.
- Local Identifier:
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: [title of item], [title of series, if applicable], Madeleine K. Anthony Collection, Chestatee Regional Library System, Lumpkin County Branch, presented in the Digital Library of Georgia
-  p.
- Holding Institution:
- Lumpkin County Library
Sherman Hinsdale Co [County] Colo [Colorado] Oct [October] 8th 1880
Wier [Wier] Boyd Esq. [Esquire]
Yours of the 24th ult. [ultimo] with check for $50000 was received today having been forwarded from Quinnesec. Please accept my thanks for the money and trust you will settle up the whole matter satisfactorily all around next Spring. I am amused that the Hand Co. [Company] still stick out for that $4500 which they certainly cannot get. I have not time to write much now but should be pleased to hear from you especially in regard to the mining about Dahlonega What is Mr. Williams doing and how is Mr Davis of Auraria getting along with the project that Mr. C. [Christian] Wahl of Chicago was interested in and has the latter done anything with his Whim Hill property. I made some surveys for getting water up there & am interested in it, (I do not mean pecuniarly [pecuniarily])
[Signed] W. S. Hungerford.
(Sherman Hinsdale Co [County]
(Supt. [Superintendent] Sunshine Mining Co [Company]
20th St & Broadway New York City)