- "Thar's gold in them thar hills": Gold and Gold Mining in Georgia, 1830s-1940s
- Letter: Columbus, Georgia to Colonel Wier Boyd, Dahlonega, Georgia, 1868 Mar. 14
- Dexter, Amory, 1829-1887
- Date of Original:
- Farm equipment--Georgia--Dahlonega
Collecting of accounts--Georgia--Dahlonega
Boyd, Wier G., 1820-1893
- United States, Georgia, Lumpkin County, Dahlonega, 34.53259, -83.98491
- letters (correspondence)
- Letter from Amory Dexter, civil engineer and one-time agent of the Yahoola River and Cane Creek Hydraulic Hose Mining Company, to Colonel Wier Boyd, dated March 14, 1868. Dexter clarifies the acceptable price for the iron axle wagon and harness. He notifies Boyd to expect payment from Mr. Stanley for the office furniture. Dexter suggests that they sell the mule for spring plowing and assigns prices to the mule, wood axle wagon, and cart. He asks Boyd to pressure F. M. Williams to pay at least half of his debt and to give Williams another month to pay the balance. Dexter advises Boyd not to demand too much money from Mr. Peck for services rendered, since Peck could send more business Boyd's way. He notes that Peck will take only cash for his share of the land and offers to sell his own interest at cost for cash. Dexter explains that he only rents the Payne house from his cousin and asks Boyd to convey that information to Mr. Wooten.
A project of the Digital Library of Georgia in association with the Lumpkin County Library, Chestatee Regional Library System as part of Georgia HomePLACE. This project is supported with federal LSTA funds administered by the Institute of Museum and Library Services through the Georgia Public Library Service, a unit of the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia.
- Local Identifier:
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: [title of item], [title of series, if applicable], Madeleine K. Anthony Collection, Chestatee Regional Library System, Lumpkin County Branch, presented in the Digital Library of Georgia
-  p.
- Holding Institution:
- Lumpkin County Library
Columbus. Ga. [Georgia] Mar. [March] 14 /68.
Col. [Colonel] Wier [Wier] Boyd
Dahlonega. Ga. [Georgia]
I am in receipt of your 9th inst. [instant] & notice contents.
I would not sell wagon & harness at $40. but would take $60. or 65. I wrote Mr. Stanley to collect $40. for office furniture & hand amt. [amount] to you. Would it not be a good time to sell the mule now that spring ploughing [plowing] has commenced? Price her say $80 to $100. -- Wood axle wagon $20. Cart $30.
As the last of March is approaching I wish you would urge Williams up even if you can only get half down & give him 30 days for balance.
You ask me what you had better charge Mr. Peck for services -- I hardly know what to advise. I should name an amt. [amount] & if he thought too high give way, as he is likely to remain in that section & can throw business in your way.
Mr. Peck wanted me to make him a cash offer for his part of our land, but I could not well spare the money. Therefore offered part cash & part stock which he refused. My Brother offered him $500. which I suppose he will refuse -- I would be very glad to sell my interest at cost for cash -- I have no authority to sell or lease my cousins property -- I merely rent the Payne House. Please mention this to Mr. Wooten. With kind regards I am ever
Yours very truly
[Signed] Amory Dexter