- Isaac R. Clark Memorial Collection
- The Church and Violence, Part 10: The Role of the Preacher, March 13, 1969
Church and Violence ITC Lecture: #10 Side 1-Dr. Oswald P. Bronson, Side 2-Hon. Richard G. Hatcher
- Date of Original:
- African Americans--Religion
Theology--Study and teaching
Lectures and lecturing
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
- Interdenominational Theological Center president Dr. Oswald P. Bronson and Gary, Indiana mayor Richard G. Hatcher give presentations at ITC convocation. Dr. Bronson talks about the role of the preacher in the history of the Black church and community. He also thanks Dr. Harry V. Richardson for his efforts in bringing ITC to national prominence and discusses his hopes for the future of ITC. Mayor Hatcher shares his experience as mayor of Gary, Indiana and offers his views on the status of the Black community, nation, and the Black church.
00:00:06 Audio begins with clapping chatter of crowd. Martin Luther King Sr. speaking with mayor softly as unidentified man speaks in the background about ITC., 00:02:01 Choir sings Soon I Will Be Done with the Troubles of the World., 00:05:38 Unidentified man asked presiding Bishop of the AME Zion church of Georgia to come up front (Bishop Folger). Talks about the speakers on program and introduces the president of the Interdenominational Theological Center Dr. Oswald P. Bronson., 00:09:09 Dr. Oswald P. Bronson greets those in attendance., 00:09:51 Talks about if there is anyone within the Black community who has kept his people with a measure of mental and emotional health for some 300 years it has been the Black preacher., 00:13:21 Talks about present day revolutionaries who frequently attack the Black church., 00:25:16 Talks about ITC as standing in the front ranks and the role of Dr. Harry V. Richardson., 00:30:23 Talks about ITC marching on and the Presbyterian Church joining the ITC and the Church of God in Christ joining the ITC and recognizes Dr. Charles B. Copher., 00:37:42 Ends presentation., 00:40:22 Choir sings., 00:42:31 Bishop Shy introduces Richard Hatcher mayor of Gary, Indiana., 00:51:57 Talks about one of the interesting things in becoming mayor., 00:56:50 Talks about his White House experience., 00:58:25 Talks about slums in America getting worse., 01:10:12 Talks about a year of tragedy and talks about Martin Luther King Jr., 01:15:33 Talks about problem of integrating schools., 01:20:39 Talks about what disturbs him most about the subject of the church and violence is the contrast of the subject matter but they are generative forces., 01:25:24 Talks about the church being a force for good and too often it has remained silent., 01:31:21 Ends presentation., 01:32:27 Bishop Shy gives remarks and introduces Dr. Harry V. Richardson., 01:36:53 Audio ends.
The Atlanta University Center Robert W. Woodruff Library acknowledges the generous support of the National Endowment for Humanities - Humanities Collections and Reference Resources Implementation Project Grant in supporting the processing and digitization of a number of its major archival collections as part of the project: Spreading the Word: Expanding Access to African American Religious Archival Collections at the Atlanta University Center Robert W. Woodruff Library.
- Metadata URL:
- Additional Rights Information:
- All works in this collection either are protected by copyright and/or are the property of the Robert W. Woodruff Library, and/or the copyright holder as appropriate. To order a reproduction or to inquire about permission to publish, please contact the Archives Research Center at: firstname.lastname@example.org with the web URL or handle identification number.
- Original Collection:
- Isaac R. Clark Memorial Collection
- Holding Institution:
- Atlanta University Center Robert W. Woodruff Library