- Atlanta Funeral Programs Collection
- Homegoing Services for Mrs. Susie Gibson McIver, Wednesday, July 7, 1993, 11:00 A.M., Turner Monumental A.M.E. Church, 66 Howard Street, Northeast, Atlanta, Georgia, The Reverend S.W. Wicker, Pastor, Officiating
- Date of Original:
- African American women--Georgia--Atlanta--History--20th century
African Americans--Funeral customs and rites--Georgia--Atlanta--History--20th century
Funeral rites and ceremonies--Georgia--Atlanta---History--20th century
Funeral service--Georgia--Atlanta--History--20th century
Mourning customs--Georgia--Atlanta--History--20th century
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
- church records
- Funeral program for Susie Gibson McIver. Birth date: December 5, 1917. Death date: July 1, 1993. Funeral date: July 7, 1993. Church: Turner Monumental A.M.E. Church (Atlanta, Ga.). The Atlanta Funeral Programs Collection is a project of the Digital Library of Georgia in association with the Auburn Avenue Research Library on African-American Culture and History as part of Georgia HomePLACE. The project is supported with federal LSTA funds administered by the Institute of Museum and Library Services through the Georgia Public Library Service, a unit of the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia.
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- 1 page
- Holding Institution:
- Auburn Avenue Research Library on African-American Culture and History
Benny Allen John Carter Rufus Dewberry
Timothy Hill, Sr. Emory Kemp Vanester Pugh
Stewards and Trustees Turner Monumental A.M.E. Church
Stewardess Boards #1 and #2 Turner Monumental A.M.E. Church
~onorar~ Jfflofnr J\ttnb-ants
The Lynn Valley Community Club
The family is deeply appreciative of the numerous expressions of sympathy and acts of kindness extended during the period of bereavement. Your prayers and thoughtfulness have been a source of strength and inspiration. May God richly bless all of you.
~eUers ~rotqers, ~ttc.
FUNERAL DIRECTORS & MORTICIANS
889 M . L. King, Jr. Drive. N.W. 923 McDaniel Street. S.W.
Atlanta. Georgia 30314
Atlanta, Georgia 30310
MKO Graphics & Printers (404) 523-1560
Wednesday, July 7, 1993 -11:00A.M.-
Wurner ~onumental ~~If illqurcq
66 Howard Street, Northeast Atlanta, Georgia
The Reverend S. W. Wicker, Pastor Officiating
Mrs. Susie Gibson Mciver was born in Social Circle, Georgia on December 5, 1917. She was called to eternal rest on Thursday, July 1, 1993. At an early age, she and her parents, the late Mr. and Mrs. James Gibson, moved to Covington, Georgia, where they affiliated with the Franklin Memorial A.M.E. Zion Church and the Mt. Zion Baptist Church.
The family later relocated to Atlanta, where Susie attended the public schools, including Washington High and Carver Vocational Schools. She subsequently matriculated at the Beaumont Nursing School.
On June 28, 1936, she was married to the Reverend Barney Lee Thornton. For thirty-three years, she shared in his ministry as he pastored various African Methodist Episcopal Churches in the Atlanta area and throughout the state of Georgia. During this time, however, they both maintained membership at the Turner Monumental A .M .E. Church in Atlanta. After Reverend Thornton 's dem ise in 1968, Susie continued to be a loyal member of Turner Monumental, serving as a class leader, missionary, member of Stewardess' Board #1, as well as the Down Home Club.
After experiencing widowhood for a number of years, Susie was united in holy matrimony with Deacon lsiah Mciver in 1975. Together, they were blessed with a happy, productive life for neary two decades.
Survivors include her devoted husband, Mr. lsiah Mciver; stepsons and their spouses, Mr. and Mrs. lsiah Mciver and Mr. and Mrs. Bobby Mciver; six grandchildren; sisters-in-law and their families, Mesdames Isabel Mciver, Elizabeth Mciver, Gertrude Williams, and Juanita Thornton; brother-in-law, Reverend John Mciver; niece and family, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph W. Robinson; nephew, Mr. and Mrs. Claude E. Smith, Jr. and family; and numerous other relatives and friends.
rbcr nf ~crui.cc
PRELUDE ....................... Mrs. Weymonn Carney Mrs. Patricia Vaughn
PROCESSIONAL ....... . ........... HLead Kindly Light"
HYMN .......................... H Come Ye Disconsolate"
PRAYER .............. The Reverend B. J. Johnson, Jr. Pastor, Greater Mt. Calvary Baptist Church
SCRIPTURE: The Old Testament The Reverend James L. Davis Pastor, Big Bethel A.M. E. Church The New Testament The Reverend Warren Dolphus A ssistant Pastor, Turner Monumen tal A .M. E. Church
HYMN ................... HMy Faith Look s Up To Thee"
WORDS IN TRIBUTE : Mrs. Katie Benton, Stewardess Board #1 Mrs. Edna Lewis, Class Leader/ Missionary Mrs. Mary Pugh, Ly nn Valley Neighborhood
SOLO .. . .. .. . . . . . .. .... . . . ... Mrs. Lucile Whitherspoon
EULOGY . . .. . ... . ......... . The Reverend S. W. Wicker
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT ....... Mrs. Ruth Cunningham
RECESSIONAL . ......... ... .... . ......... HGoing Home"
Lincoln Memorial Cemetery 2275 Simpson Road, Northwest