- Atlanta Funeral Programs Collection
- Funeral Services for Mrs. Julia Burton, 1:00 P.M., June 26, 1967, West Mitchell Street C.M.E. Church, 575 Mitchell Street, S.W., Atlanta, Georgia, Rev. E.H. Hicks, Pastor
- Date of Original:
- African American women--Georgia--Atlanta--History--20th century
African Americans--Funeral customs and rites--Georgia--Atlanta--History--20th century
Funeral rites and ceremonies--Georgia--Atlanta---History--20th century
Funeral service--Georgia--Atlanta--History--20th century
Mourning customs--Georgia--Atlanta--History--20th century
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
- church records
- Funeral program for Julia Burton. Birth date: May 18, 1890. Death date: (not recorded). Funeral date: June 26, 1967. Church: West Mitchell Street C.M.E. Church (Atlanta, Ga.). The Atlanta Funeral Programs Collection is a project of the Digital Library of Georgia in association with the Auburn Avenue Research Library on African-American Culture and History as part of Georgia HomePLACE. The project is supported with federal LSTA funds administered by the Institute of Museum and Library Services through the Georgia Public Library Service, a unit of the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia.
- Metadata URL:
- Digital Object URL:
- 2 pages
- Holding Institution:
- Auburn Avenue Research Library on African-American Culture and History
FUNERAL SERVICES for
Mrs. Julia Burton 1:00 P. M.
June 26, 1967
West Mitchell Street C. M. E. Church 57 5 Mitchell Street, S. W. Atlanta, Georgia Rev. E. H. Hicks, Pastor
INTEGER VITAE He who lives upright, kind and free from error, Needs not the aid of arms or men to guard him; Safely he moves a child to guilty terrors Strong in his virtues What though he journey o'er the burning desert, Or cLimb alone the dreadful dangerous mountains, Or taste the waters of the famed Hydaspes, God will attend him
The family wishes to thank all friends, relatives and members of West Mitchell Street C. M. E. Church for their kindnesses shown during the illness and passing of Mrs. Julia Burton.
Mrs. Julia Beatrice Gray Burton was born ay 18, L890 on the Jones County plantation of her late parents, James S. and Emma T. Gray.
After her graduation from the high school at Paine College, Augusta, in 1907, she pursued her teaching profession in the schools of Jones, Elbert, Tift and Terrell Counties and at Paine College, until she carne to Atlanta to make.her horne thirty years ago.
Fifty -three years ago on June 24, she married Mr. George W. Burton of Elberton. To this union were born two children, James Madison, who survives,, and Mrs. Emma Lallage Ryce who preceded her mother in death three years ago.
Next to her family, Mrs. Burton was devoted to her Church and to Paine College. She was an active member of West Mitchell Street C. M. E. Church and was a familiar and contributing figure at the annual and general conferences of her denomination. . She was also active in the Women's Connectional Missionary Council of the C. M. E. Church, in the Royal Arts Music Study Club, and in the Atlanta Paine College Club.
The deceased was a very well-informed person in many areas. From childhood she displayed a deep interest in the fine arts, particularly in music and was an avid and knowledgeable sports enthusiast. She read widely and was known for her warm sympathy and understanding.
Besides her husband and son, Mrs. Burton is survived by three granddaughters, Sylvia and Julia Ryce, St. Louis, Mo. , and Janine Burton, Indianapolis; and two grandsons, Amos Ryce III, United States Arrriy in Germany, and Micheal Ryce, Birmingham, Alabama; two sisters, Mrs. J. T. Blount, Gray Georgia,. and Mrs. B. E. Mays, Atlanta; two brothers, Madi~on B. Gray, Gray, Georgia and Dr. Emory S. Gray, Chicago, Illinois, and several nieces and nephews.
Processional Hymn...... Servant of God Well Done First Scripture . Rev. Otis Sims Second Scripture . Rev. R.. B. Shorts Prayer.... Bishop Joseph A. Johnson Hymn........ Abide With Me Obituary... Mr. Clishie P. Eagles ton Remarks .... Mrs. Annie Laurie Pace
Dr. Benjamin E. Mays Bishop P. R. Shy Rev. E. H. Hicks Solo.. Mrs. Leona C. Hicks Eulogy . Rev. Amos Rice Recessional
Attendants: Ivey Brothers and Hutchings Funeral Home, Macon, Ga.
Interment: Gray, Georgia
Mr. C. M. Ashmore Mr. Georgi Prather Mr. John Browner Mr. William H. Smith Dr, 0. W. Eagleson
HONORARY PALL BEARERS
Mr. Winston Sherard Mr. James Duffy Mr. James Walker Mr. William M. Pace Mr. Chester Arnold Rev. W. Clyde Williams Rev. Otis Sims Rev. Horace Davis Dr. J. B. Gilbert