University of West Georgia Special Collections

Logo for University of West Georgia. Special Collections
"The mission of UWG Special Collections is to acquire, preserve, provide access to, and promote the use of a wide range of primary resource materials in their original formats, including books, manuscripts, photographs, maps, digital files, and other materials to support and enhance the educational, research, and administrative activities of the University of West Georgia, its constituencies, and the University System of Georgia.", "The mission of UWG Special Collections is to acquire, preserve, provide access to, and promote the use of a wide range of primary resource materials in their original formats, including books, manuscripts, photographs, maps, digital files, and other materials to support and enhance the educational, research, and administrative activities of the University of West Georgia, its constituencies, and the University System of Georgia."


Strengths:
University of West Georgia Special Collections actively gathers, organizes, preserves, and makes publicly accessible archival and printed materials relating to the following subject areas: 1) History, culture, and people of West Georgia 2) Georgia politics and politicians 3) Specialty academic fields of paranormal and humanistic psychology 4) University of West Georgia archives 5) University of West Georgia faculty papers and publications 6) General Georgiana to support teaching and learning Special Collections also holds materials historic collections relating to South America, children's literature, and general world history, although these topical areas are not actively developed. The West Georgia region is loosely defined as the geographic area west of Atlanta, the eastern border counties in Alabama, and bounded by Rome to the north and Columbus to the south. The particular focus of the collection is on Carroll, Coweta, Douglas, Haralson, Heard, Paulding, and Troup counties. Alabama counties bordering West Georgia region include Calhoun, Chambers, Cherokee, Clay, Cleburne, Randolph, and Tallapoosa.
Location:
1601 Maple Street Carrollton, GA 30118
Email:
special@westga.edu
Phone:
+1-678-839-5455

Collections

Name Description
Benjamin M. Long Collection Historic photographs of Carrollton, Georgia, and Mexico City, Mexico from 1907 to the 1970s.
Carroll County Genealogical Quarterly 25 issues of the Carroll County Genealogical Quarterly, published from 1980 to 1994, that compiles, collects, and creates genealogical information for Carroll County, Georgia.
Carroll County Georgia Cemeteries Guides to the 292 cemeteries in the western (volume 1) and eastern (volume 2) parts of Carroll County published in 2005 and 2006 that provide transcriptions of names as they appear on tombstones.
Carroll County Photograph Collection Photographs of Carrollton, Georgia at the turn of the twentieth century including scenery such as Adamson Square and the Fourth District A&M School.
Continuing Education Audio Recordings Audio recordings dating from 1952 to 1974 of various lectures, radio programs, and interviews from the Continuing Education and College in the Country programs at West Georgia College.
Fourth District A & M Collection Photographs of the Fourth District Agricultural and Mechanical School (now University of West Georgia) from 1906 to 1929.
Georgia Political Papers and Oral History Program Oral histories with twentieth-century Georgia politicians and political observers
Play by Play: Athletics at West Georgia 1960s through the 1980s Photographs from the exhibit "Play by Play: Athletics at West Georgia" documenting athletics at the University of West Georgia from the 1960s through the 1980s.
University of West Georgia Collections in the Internet Archive Yearbooks, alumni magazines, and course catalogs for the University of West Georgia.
University of West Georgia Oral History Interviews Sound recordings of oral histories about the history of West Georgia College and Carroll County, Georgia.
West Georgia College Continuing Education Photographs and Negatives Photographs of West Georgia College's (now University of West Georgia) continuing education programs from 1949 to 1969.