Emory Cocke photographs, 1943-1952, undated
Black-and-white photographs of the Exposition Cotton Mills in Atlanta, Georgia from 1943 to 1952.
More About This Collection
Emory Cocke Photographs, VIS 122, Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center.
Date of Original
Lane Brothers Photo News Service (Atlanta, Ga.)
Bradford, G. N.
Kilpatrick, B.W., Reverend
Exposition Cotton Mills (Atlanta, Ga.)
Jefferson Street Methodist Church (Atlanta, Ga.)
Glenn, George E.
Cotton textile industry--Georgia--Atlanta
This collection contains images depicting the interior of the Exposition Cotton Mills and its employees, spinning equipment. Photographers featured in this collection include Gabriel Benzur, and Lane Brothers, of Atlanta, Georgia.
A native Atlantan, Emory Cocke graduated from Marist College in Atlanta, Georgia in 1915, and later attended the University of Georgia. He joined the Navy in 1917, and attended officer training school. He later went into business, forming Suni-Citrus Products Company, one of the Southeast's most successful agricultural businesses.
The International Cotton Exposition of 1881 was one of three expositions in Atlanta designed to attract business and venture capitol to Atlanta. The other two expositions were in 1887 and 1895. Buildings were erected for the 1881 exposition along what is now Ashby Street in West Atlanta. In 1882, these structures were converted into a textile mill, and became the Exposition Cotton Mills, which stood until 1971.
This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U. S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Atlanta History Center