In December 1941, the United States government selected Bell Aircraft Corporation to build B-29 bombers. On March 30, 1942, Bell broke ground in Marietta, Georgia, for a new plant to build the aircraft, and by March 1943, aircraft construction had begun. The Bell Aircraft operation at this plant closed after V-J Day in 1945. In January 1951, at the request of the U.S. Air Force, the Lockheed Aircraft Corporation of Burbank, California, reopened the facility to make modifications to the B-29 aircraft. The Marietta operation also began work on the B-47 aircraft. The first Marietta-made B-47 flew in December 1942.