Description These images were taken by Norman F. Bielowicz of Decatur, Georgia and depict the fire that occurred on January 30, 1978 at the Loew's Grand Theatre in Atlanta., Loew's Grand Theater was built in 1893 as the DeGive Opera House. It came under the management of Marcus Loew's Theater organization in 1916. In 1932, in order to compete with movie theaters, the Grand was renovated by architect Thomas W. Lamb. The one screen theater had 2088 seats. The theater was the site of the movie premiere of Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind in 1939. Declining attendence in the 1960's led to its closing in 1977. The abandoned theater caught fire January 30, 1978 and the damage led to the demolition of the historic venue.