Description Atlanta University was founded in 1865 by the American Missionary Association with assistance from the Freedman's Bureau. Clark College was founded as Clark University in 1869 by the Freedmen's Aid Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church (now United Methodist Church). The college was named for Bishop Davis W. Clark, the first president of the Freedmen's Aid Society. In 1945, The Panther became the official student newspaper of Clark College, a decision made by the student body and faculty advisor. Prior to this,'The Mentor had been the representative college journal of student expression. Clark Atlanta University is the consolidation of Clark College and Atlanta University in 1988. This digital collection consists of 260 issues spanning dates from 1944 through 2017.