- Steve B. Campbell Atlanta Fire Department Photographs, 1882-1972
- The Atlanta Fire of 1917
- Steve B. Campbell Atlanta Fire Department Photographs, Atlanta History Center
- Date of Original:
Atlanta (Ga.)--Buildings, structures, etc.
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
- copy prints
- View of an unidentified area of Atlanta, Georgia during a fire.
The Great Atlanta Fire of 1917 began downtown in a warehouse on Decatur Street. In less than ten hours it destroyed over 2,000 homes, businesses, and churches. Much of the damage occurred in a neighborhood known as the Fourth Ward. Only one fatality was reported but nearly 10,000 people were displaced. Losses totaled $5.5 million
- Metadata URL:
- Rights Holder:
- This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U. S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
- Additional Rights Information:
- Please contact holding institution for information regarding use and copyright status.
- Bibliographic Citation (Cite As):
- Cite as: MSS 587, Steve B. Campbell Papers, Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center
- 1 photograph : b&w ; 5 x 7 in., Atlanta History Center
- Holding Institution:
- Atlanta History Center