- Asa G. Hilliard, III Papers, Audio-Visual Materials Series
- 20th Annual Martin Luther King Jr. Birthday Breakfast, January 17, 2005
- Date of Original:
African American scholars
- United States, Ohio, Franklin County, Columbus, 39.96118, -82.99879
- Moving Image
- This video recording, dated January 17, 2005, consists of the program of the 20th Annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday Breakfast in Columbus, Ohio. The keynote speaker of the program was Dr. Floyd H. Flake, Senior Pastor of the Greater Allen Cathedral in Jamaica, New York, and President of Wilberforce University in Wilberforce, Ohio. Dr. Flake's speech draws parallels between the Biblical story of the Daughters of Zelophehad (Numbers 26 and Joshua 17) and the work of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. He argues that Dr. King, like the daughters in the story, confronted the nation's leaders about unjust discrimination in the law. Dr. Flake also stresses the need for the African American community to build on Dr. King's legacy, particularly in relation to economic and educational justice.
- Metadata URL:
- Additional Rights Information:
- All works in this collection either are protected by copyright and/or are the property of the Robert W. Woodruff Library, and/or the copyright holder as appropriate. To order a reproduction or to inquire about permission to publish, please contact the Archives Research Center at: email@example.com with the web URL or handle identification number.
- Original Collection:
- Asa G. Hilliard, III Papers
- Holding Institution:
- Atlanta University Center Robert W. Woodruff Library