Description LaGrange College is a private, Methodist affiliated liberal arts college, first chartered as LaGrange Female Academy, in 1831 in the west Georgia town of LaGrange. The charter was amended in 1847 to change the school's name to LaGrange Female Institute and to grant baccalaureate degrees. In 1851, the school's official name became LaGrange Female College. It was purchased in 1857 by the Georgia Conference of the Methodist E. Church, South (now North Georgia Conference of the Methodist Church). The college's name was changed to LaGrange College in 1934 although it remained an all women's school until the mid-1940s, becoming officially coed in 1953. This collection from the Frank and Laura Lewis Library features material from the archives including the course bulletins and catalogs. The 1848 catalog is the earliest known catalog for the institution.