Bell Aircraft Corporation photographs, 1942-1952
Black-and-white photographs of the construction of the plant, the buildings and grounds, employees, and construction and flight of the B-29 aircraft.
More About This Collection
Date of Original
Airplane factories--Design and construction
Bell Aircraft Corporation
United States, Georgia, Cobb County, Marietta, 33.9526, -84.54993
In December 1941, the United States government selected Bell Aircraft Corporation to build B-29 bombers. On March 30, 1942, Bell broke ground in Marietta, Georgia, for a new plant to build the aircraft, and by March 1943, aircraft construction had begun. The Bell Aircraft operation at this plant closed after V-J Day in 1945. In January 1951, at the request of the U.S. Air Force, the Lockheed Aircraft Corporation of Burbank, California, reopened the facility to make modifications to the B-29 aircraft. The Marietta operation also began work on the B-47 aircraft. The first Marietta-made B-47 flew in December 1942.
This collection contains photographs of the construction of the plant, the buildings and grounds, employees, and construction and flight of the B-29 aircraft. In addition, the collection contains photographs of the Lockheed operation, including construction of new buildings, employees and work on the B-29 and B-47. They were taken between 1951 and 1952, after Lockheed reopened the facility.
The Bell Aircraft Corporation photographs contain 126 black and white photographic prints, 125 of which are digitized and available on this database.
To view the rest of the images, please visit the Kenan Research Center located at 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta, Georgia 30305. Our hours of operation are 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Tuesday – Saturday. You may contact us by calling 404.814.4040 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Digitization of this collection is made possible in part by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U. S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Bell Aircraft Corporation Photographs
Atlanta History Center