Bedford Pine

Collection:
Bedford Pine Neighborhood Photograph Collection, 1970-1971
Title:
Bedford Pine
Publisher:
Bedford-Pine Neighborhood Photograph Collection, Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, Atlanta, GA
Date of Original:
1971-01
Subject:
African Americans--Georgia--Atlanta
Neighborhoods--Georgia--Atlanta
African American men--Georgia--Atlanta
Men's clothing--Georgia--Atlanta
Barbershops--Georgia--Atlanta
Small business--Georgia--Atlanta
Coca Cola (Trademark)--Georgia--Atlanta
Advertising--Soft drinks--Georgia--Atlanta
Signs and signboards--Georgia--Atlanta
Hats--Georgia--Atlanta
Electric lines--Poles and towers
Atlanta (Ga.)--Social conditions--20th century
African Americans--Georgia--Atlanta--Social conditions--20th century
Poor African Americans--Housing--Georgia--Atlanta
Atlanta (Ga.)--Buildings, structures, etc.
Location:
United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, Bedford Pine, 33.768733, -84.376218
United States, Georgia, Atlanta, Ralph McGill Boulevard, 33.763941, -84.369583
Medium:
color transparencies
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
View of residents and commercial space on Forrest Avenue (later named Ralph McGill Boulevard) in the Bedford Pine neighborhood of Atlanta, Georgia.
Slums; Ghettos; louie's barber shop; barber shops; barbershops; barbershop; coca-cola company; coke; street scenes
Bedford Pine is an area in Atlanta, Georgia bounded by North Avenue on the north end, Highland Avenue to the south, Boulevard to the east, and Piedmont Avenue to the west. The area was annexed by Atlanta in 1870 and developed until a fire destroyed businesses and homes in 1917. After the fire, the neighborhood deteriorated in value and maintenance as middle class residents moved away and were replaced by people at or near the poverty line. Most of the structures in the neighborhood were destroyed during the 1960's and 1970's in urban renewal projects. New housing was constructed during the decades that followed, and Georgia Power Company chose the area for its headquarters in 1979.
Metadata URL:
http://album.atlantahistorycenter.com/cdm/ref/collection/bpneighbor/id/49
Rights Holder:
This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U. S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Additional Rights Information:
Please contact holding institution for information regarding use and copyright status.
Extent:
1 photograph : col. ; 35mm.
Holding Institution:
Atlanta History Center

Locations