<oai_dc:dc xmlns:oai_dc="http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/oai_dc/" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/oai_dc/ http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/oai_dc.xsd"><dc:coverage>United States, Georgia, Camden County, Cumberland Island, 30.85107, -81.44843</dc:coverage><dc:creator>Linley, John</dc:creator><dc:date>1978-12</dc:date><dc:description>Located at: Cumberland Island, Ga.</dc:description><dc:description>Stone ruins of Carnegie family vacation home. The history of Dungeness dates to James Oglethorpe, founder of the Georgia colony, who built two forts on the island in 1736. In 1783, Revolutionary War General Nathaniel Greene acquired nearly 11,000 acres of the island in exchange for a bad debt. His widow built a house in 1803, which burned in 1866. The property was purchased by Andrew Carnegie's brother Thomas from General William Davis (former Confederate soldier) for his wife Lucy in 1882. Lucy Carnegie also built several homes on the island for her children: Plum Orchard mansion for her son George Lauder Carnegie and Greyfield House for her daughter Margaret "Retta" Carnegie. The Carnegies moved out of Dungeness in 1925 because of costly upkeep, but the estate was maintained through Lucy Carnegie's estate. In 1959, Dungeness was burned to the ground by an arsonist. The ruins remain, though, and include what is called Tabby House, the oldest house on Cumberland Island and the only building the Carnegies spared when they rebuilt the area from the ruins of the Greene estate. The house was built around 1800 of tabby, a kind of concrete made of oyster shells, lime and sand.</dc:description><dc:description>Date of structure: 1884.</dc:description><dc:format>image/jpeg</dc:format><dc:relation>Forms part of: John Linley Collection</dc:relation><dc:rights>http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/</dc:rights><dc:subject>Free Style (architecture)</dc:subject><dc:subject>Stone</dc:subject><dc:subject>Rock</dc:subject><dc:subject>Vacation houses</dc:subject><dc:subject>Houses</dc:subject><dc:subject>Dwellings</dc:subject><dc:subject>Ruins</dc:subject><dc:subject>Architecture--Georgia--Cumberland Island</dc:subject><dc:subject>Architecture--Georgia--Camden County</dc:subject><dc:subject>Miller, Phineas--Homes and haunts</dc:subject><dc:subject>Greene, Catharine Littlefield, 1753-1814--Homes and haunts</dc:subject><dc:subject>Carnegie, Thomas Morrison, 1844-1886--Homes and haunts</dc:subject><dc:subject>Carnegie, Lucy C.--Homes and haunts</dc:subject><dc:title>Dungeness (Cumberland Island, Ga.)</dc:title><dc:type>StillImage</dc:type></oai_dc:dc>