<oai_dc:dc xmlns:oai_dc="http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/oai_dc/" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/oai_dc/ http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/oai_dc.xsd"><dc:coverage>United States, Georgia, Floyd County, Mount Berry, 34.27509, -85.18328</dc:coverage><dc:creator>Owens, Hubert B.</dc:creator><dc:date>1945/1980</dc:date><dc:description>Located at: Faculty Drive, Berry College, Mount Berry, Ga.</dc:description><dc:description>View of the Chapel steeple through the pines. The brick chapel was designed by architect Harry Carlson of Boston (who also designed the Ford Buildings), featuring as the entrance a centered wooden bell tower with three levels on a brick base, topped by a finial. Students built the chapel in 1915. Carlson modeled the chapel after Christ Church in Alexandria, Virginia, thought to be patterned after St. Paul's Cathedral in London. Originally, the chapel held 750, but was expanded from 1927-28 to accomodate 1100. O. C. Skinner, the industrial manager for Berry at the time, described the project as the most difficult remodeling ever undertaken at Berry. From 1947-48, the 105 foot tower was rebuilt, steel supports were installed to replace wooden timbers, and other woodwork was replaced. 47 gallons of honey was salvaged from one of the columns, where bees had penetrated. The chapel was a gift to Berry Schools (Berry College) from Mrs. Curtiss James of New York, who gave $50,000, anonymously until her death, for its construction. The chapel was renovated in 1997 by S &amp; W Builders of Rome, Ga. and Berry Physical Plant personnel, including repairs to the steeple tower. Alumni made new finials for the steeple tower. Air conditioning was added in 2001. For more information see Dickey, Ouida W., ed. Berry Trails: an Historic and Contemporary Guide to Berry College. Mount Berry, Ga.: Berry College, c2001, pp. 22-23.</dc:description><dc:description>Slide annotated: "Berry Sch. Chapel through Pines."</dc:description><dc:description>Date of structure: 1915.</dc:description><dc:format>image/jpeg</dc:format><dc:rights>http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/</dc:rights><dc:subject>James, Curtiss, Mrs.</dc:subject><dc:subject>Skinner, O. C.</dc:subject><dc:subject>S &amp; W Builders</dc:subject><dc:subject>Berry College</dc:subject><dc:subject>Classical Revival</dc:subject><dc:subject>Brick</dc:subject><dc:subject>Wood (plant material)</dc:subject><dc:subject>Steel</dc:subject><dc:subject>Iron alloy</dc:subject><dc:subject>Metal</dc:subject><dc:subject>Churches</dc:subject><dc:subject>Chapels (rooms or structures)</dc:subject><dc:subject>Religious buildings</dc:subject><dc:subject>Colleges</dc:subject><dc:subject>Schools</dc:subject><dc:subject>Architecture--Georgia--Mount Berry</dc:subject><dc:subject>Architecture--Georgia--Floyd County</dc:subject><dc:title>Chapel (Berry College)</dc:title><dc:type>StillImage</dc:type></oai_dc:dc>